Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Do Not Update to Java 6.0

Do not upgrade to Java 6.0.

Two weeks ago, I upgraded to Java 6.0. While I was able to access Blackberry Vista and the Online Genre Workshop I postings, I was able to respond to posting but I was not able to add a new attachment to a posting. In fact, when I tried, the "My Computer" logo failed to appear. This was a problem with both Mozilla Foxfire and Internet Explorer. If I clicked on the blank spot where the "My Computer" logo should have appeared, I had trouble closing out of the program and all typing on Vista and my AOL came out backward, e.g., if I typed "Rinker," it came out "rekniR."

I talked earlier today with the Computer Help Desk at West Conn and was told the problem was Java 6.0. Once I removed the upgrade and went back to a previous version, in my case an older Version 4, everything worked fine.

No comments: